Islands In The Sea

Islands In The Sea

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Unexpected Surprise

It's funny, how the creative process works. I sat down to work on a particular canvas, this weekend, and found that I just couldn't get my mind or my brush into it. Rather than throw in the towel for the day, I grabbed a fresh canvas and started laying down an idea that had been kicking around in the back of my noggin for a while now. Surprise, surprise...the work just flowed right out of me! This piece is a little ways from being totally complete but the bulk of the work is done--and in one sitting. A wasted day in the studio turned into a day in which I produced a work that is an important piece of this current show.

The idea here is that this is the jumping off point for the other works. It has a beautiful dusky sky, the trees, the fireflies, the boat...---all the objects that show up as symbols in so many of my other works. I even plan to have an old ladder will be leaning up against that boat soon, as well. The cool meadow bordered by the woods is an amalgamation of several yards and fields from my youth in Long Island--and I can really almost smell the cut grass and honeysuckle in the air when I look at it.


This as yet untitled 18" x 24" acrylic work will be on display at the Frodel Gallery for the month of April. The reception fo rthis show will be on April 24th, from 5:30-7PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment